Creamy Chicken Avocado Salad
I am all about ease and speed in the kitchen, and this dish ticks both of these boxes – quality protein missed with good fat and fibrous veggies, and it’s on the table in less than 15 minutes. You can’t argue with that.
Course: Entrée / Main / Side
Recipe contains: nuts
- 500 g (17 ½ oz.) savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, stone removed, diced
- 300 g (10 ½ oz.) leftover roast chicken, shredded or chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- small handful mixed herbs, torn (tarragon, parsley and chervil)
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Second Tab Content
We always have some type of protein cooked and ready to go in the fridge at home. My advice is to cook up one or two chickens during the week by either roasting them then stripping the meat off and making a stock from the bones; or better still, poach your chickens in a stock and do the same thing. This will ensure you have a delicious, nutritious stock base on hand for mugs of broth or to quickly whip up a wholesome dish. Plus you will always have some protein ready to go for a quick meal.
Mash the avocado slightly to a creamy and slightly chunky texture in a bowl, then add the cabbage, roast chicken, olive oil (if using) and lemon juice and give it a good toss through so the avocado dresses the salad evenly. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Arrange the salad onto a platter and sprinkle with fresh mixed herbs and pine nuts. Serve.
Other recipes you might like