Tuna and Avocado Sushi Rolls
I love the creativity that comes with cooking. This is a simple but exciting dish that I created as an alternative to using sushi rice. I took some leftover cauliflower rice, added nut butter for creaminess and tahini to give some extra stickiness.
Course: Entrée / Snack
Recipe contains: Fish, Egg
- 400 g (2 cups) cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons cashew or macadamia nut butter
- sea salt
- 1 X 150 g (5¼ oz.) can of good-quality tuna in olive oil or brine, drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus extra to serve
- 2 pinches chilli powder (optional)
- 4 toasted nori sheets
- 1 large handful of rocket leaves
- 1 cucumber, sliced lengthways into eighths and seeds removed
- ½ carrot, sliced into thin batons
- ½ avocado, sliced into strips
- toasted white and black sesame seeds, to serve
- tamari, to serve
- wasabi, to serve
Combine the cauliflower rice, tahini and cashew or macadamia nut butter in a bowl, season with salt and mix well.
In another bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise and chilli (if using).
Place a nori sheet on a bench (or a bamboo sushi mat, if using). Spread one-quarter of the cauliflower rice mix onto half of the nori sheet, working from the edge closest to you and spreading it out to the sides. Layer the tuna, rocket, cucumber, carrot and avocado across the middle of the cauliflower rice. Starting with the edge closest to you, begin to tightly wrap the roll all the way to the end. Trim the ends with a sharp knife, then cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) round pieces. Repeat with the remaining nori, cauliflower rice and fillings.
Place the sushi pieces on a platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with mayonnaise, tamari and wasabi.