Cauliflower Fried Rice
Here is a play on the ever-popular fried rice. Instead of using bland, non-nutritional white rice, I’ve replaced it with nutrient-rich, flavoursome and healthy cauliflower and added all your favourite ingredients: tamari, egg, green veg, herbs, ginger and garlic.
Recipe contains: Shellfish, Egg
- 1 head of cauliflower, (about 1kg /2 lb. 3¼ oz.) separated into florets
- 4 slices of bacon or ham, diced
- 4 free-range organic eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 g (7 oz.) small raw prawns, shelled and deveined
- 100 g (3½ oz.) shiitake or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 100 g (3½ oz.) okra, sliced
- 100 g (3½ oz.) brussels sprouts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 50 g (1¾ oz.) bean sprouts
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 – 2 long red chillies, sliced
- cultured kimchi, to serve
- fish sauce, to serve
Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles grains of rice.
In a large frying pan or wok, fry the bacon over high heat until crispy. Remove and set aside.
Pour the eggs into the pan and tilt the pan so that the egg covers the base.
Cook for a few minutes, or until the egg is set. Remove, slice into thin strips and set aside.
Heat the coconut oil in the pan over high heat, add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, or until softened. Stir in the prawns, mushrooms and ginger and cook for another few minutes. Add the okra and brussels sprouts and cook for 1 minute. Add the cauliflower and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until tender. Add the bacon, egg, tamari, sprouts, spring onion, herbs, chilli and some salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, or until everything is heated through and well combined.
Serve with kimchi, and a splash of fish sauce.